Key aims of our International GCSE in German:
- to develop understanding and use of the spoken and written forms of German, in a range of familiar and practical contexts, and for a variety of purposes
- to develop the ability to communicate effectively in German through both the spoken and written word, using a range of vocabulary and structures
- to develop a knowledge and understanding of German grammar and its practical application
- to develop a knowledge and understanding of countries and communities where German is spoken
- to develop positive attitudes towards modern foreign language learning
- to develop a suitable foundation for further study of German or another language.
Assessment and progression
Assessment comprises two single-tier papers which cover written assessment in listening, reading and writing skills.
- Grading A* to G
- A separately endorsed examination of spoken language with rubrics in English and German, with clearly defined lists of topic areas, is also available
- Students can progress to GCE AS and Advanced GCE level, and other equivalent qualifications.
Back to the International GCSE from 2009 German homepage